Tuesday, February 16, 2010

We're in the money...perhaps....

There has been some speculation recently about a mysterious Dubai Sheik buying Brisbane Roar and re-launching the club (or should that be franchise?).

Now, as someone who rarely buys a lottery ticket but still daydreams sometimes about what I'd do with the money if I won I thought I'd come up with a blueprint about what I'd want to see happen if this turned out to be true. Pure fantasyland, it almost certainly won't hapen of course, but here goes anyway -

Name - I don't have that much of an issue with Roar but enough people do and there's enough negative history attached that it would have to go. It's replacement? Something traditionally football related. That doesn't mean UK football like United or City necessarily, although I wouldn't rule it out - maybe something like Sporting Brisbane or AFC Brisbane. I know we're not a town but a city but I'd love Brisbane Town FC...just think it has a great sound to it.

Colours - Once again as with the name. I don't mind orange and you can have a decent kit in orange but it has too much baggage so would have to go if we were starting again. Before Gold Coast United came into being I'd have loved to have played in traditional Brisbane colours of blue and yellow but they've stolen that thunder now. I wouldn't mind maroon, yes it's the state sporting colours but we are the state capital so it could work.

Stadium - I suppose if he's a billionaire businessman he could eventually build us our own stadium of 25-30k capacity. However if we got the club right, had money behind it, had success then I'd love to be going to a full or nearly full Suncorp Stadium every other week. With finances behind us, re-invented as a new club then I'd say stick with Suncorp initially.

Badge - Personal preference myself but rather than some ad/marketing firm coming up with a corporate logo I'd love something that used the Brisbane coat of arms. A real traditional look, representing the city.

Coach - I think it would be harsh on Ange not to be able to see the job through but he was employed to a role in a certain set of circumstances. If those circumstances changed then we'd arguably need a different type of coach. We'd want to attract players of a certain calibre so would need someone who's a 'name' in world football terms - to be honest someone like Patrick Kluivert would be ideal.

Players - Restricted by salary cap of course but I'd go for Socceroos looking to return to Australia (Perth managed it last year with the restrictions). Marquee would have to be someone with the WOW factor and a striker or attacking player. That's the sort of player that will get people in the ground. No names off the top of my head but hey, if NQ Fury can sign Robbie Fowler without having a pot to piss in then if we had plenty of cash we could beat that surely?

Club principles - To be fair Brisbane Roar have started this but I'd love to see our A-League team really be the top of the pyramid for our whole sport in the area. Invest money in the local leagues, have our coaches out and working with junior clubs every week and weekend. Employ them specifically to be on the club payroll in club colours at local clubs giving something real and substantial to grassroots football. Then the best local talent can be spotted early and signed up to a European style academy with real intense training and development at a first class training base with excellent medical facilities and modern methods (with money that's something we can match the top European clubs at).

No comments:

Post a Comment